Kitten Health Plan
What Is Included In My Kitten’s Health Plan?
Our first year health plan for kittens is chock full of important wellness care, free samples, and educational materials to help you and your kitten get off to a great start. Vaccinations, parasite prevention, behavior counseling, home care education, and important spay or neuter surgery are ALL included. We provide you with a handy tracking sheet to also help you stay on track with your kitten’s booster schedule and get the most out of your plan.
KITTEN HEALTH PLAN INCLUDES:
- Up to 3 wellness and vaccination exams: During these exams, our veterinarian will evaluate the overall health status of your new kitten and provide recommendations for preventative care and lifestyle management. You will be informed about any abnormalities during the examination and counseled on what these may mean for your pet. Kittens require a booster of their vaccinations to ensure efficacy, just like children do, and will receive an exam before each booster is administered.
- All vaccines recommended by the veterinarian for your specific animal: Not all animals require the same vaccination schedule. Our veterinarian will work with you to determine the vaccines that are required for your pet. The best part? All of these vaccines are covered at no extra cost to you if your pet requires more vaccines based on his/her lifestyle.
- Pet Parent Kitten Education Kit: We will provide you with written information about the diseases and conditions that we are protecting your kitten against with vaccines and preventatives. This allows you to review the information at home for a more thorough understanding of your pet’s medical care.
- Free first dose of Revolution® parasite preventative: We strongly recommend Revolution for all of our feline patients. This medication, applied once monthly to the skin on the back of the neck, protects cats from fleas, heartworms, ear mites and intestinal worms. 10% off all other Revolution® purchases: As a health plan participant, your pet will get this important anti-parasitic medication at a discount.
- Two fecal exams (if needed): All kittens are required to have a fecal examination because they are almost always born with intestinal parasites. These parasites can prevent kittens from gaining weight and growing normally, and they can also spread to humans! If your kitten’s first fecal comes back positive for a parasite, we will prescribe the appropriate medication and recheck a fecal to ensure that the parasites are gone.
- Kitten dewormer set: Since all kittens have intestinal worms, all kittens require deworming. We will send you home with a safe and effective dewormer called Pyrantel. This flavored medication is easy to give with a syringe. We recommend giving this every 2 weeks until your kitten is 6 months of age.
- 10% off Feline Leukemia and FIV testing: Feline Leukemia Virus and Feline Immunodeficiency Virus are very serious infections that cats acquire from other cats. We recommend testing of all kittens for these viruses, since they can be transmitted from mother to kitten. Once we know the status of a kitten, he/she does not need to be tested again if staying indoors. Outdoor cats should be tested annually and when they are sick.
- Up to three pedicures (given at regular vaccination appointments): Sometimes pets wiggle for nail trims at home. Let our staff help by clipping your kitten’s nails while you are here for an appointment. We can also discuss techniques with you while performing them.
- Dental Care Kit and Introduction to Home Dental Care: Beginning home dental care when your kitten is young is essential for lifelong oral health. Let us teach you how to begin tooth brushing and other dental care at home with your pet!
- 10% off microchip implantation: Microchips are a valuable way to ensure that your pet will always be able to find his/her way home if lost. Planning in advance by microchipping your pet can decrease stress during a difficult situation later on. The microchip is the size of a grain of rice, and is placed under the skin between the shoulder blades. Any veterinarian or shelter can scan for the microchip if your pet is found and brought in. The number that is read on the reader is traceable back to you.
- SPAY OR NEUTER SURGERY: One of the most important things that we do for our pets is to have them spayed (females) or neutered (males). Besides preventing unwanted pregnancy and litters of kittens, spaying and neutering also has medical benefits. For example, unspayed females are prone to developing pyometra, a life-threatening infection in the uterus, as well as mammary cancer. Intact males often demonstrate behavioral concerns, such as urine marking and intercat aggression, which are not compatible with living indoors. Avoid these potential problems by having your animals spayed and neutered. Included in the kitten health plan is:
- Pre-surgical examination
- Pre-anesthetic bloodwork (complete blood count and mini chemistry)
- Inhalant Anesthesia
- Monitoring of the animal before, during and after the procedure
- Hospitalization all day and overnight (if needed)
- In-hospital pain medication
- Detailed home care instructions for your individual pet
- 25% off laser surgery: The surgical laser decreases pain, swelling and bleeding. This allows our pets to feel better sooner after the procedure.
As always, please feel free to contact us with any questions about choosing the right care for your pet, including which of our health plans may be best for you and your family!